Any way to recover deleted files on ext3?

I am trying in vain to discover any way to undelete a deleted directory
on a
ext3 filesystem.  I have followed the recommended steps of immediately
unmounting the file system containing the directory and remounting it as
read-only, but have no luck: debugfs indicates no deleted inodes.

If there is no disk activity following the incident, how can the data
disappear?
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.