AS2.1 lock problem due to ext3?

Hi,
I installed AS2.1 kernel 2.4.9-e.16 and Emulex driver v4.21g to connect
Fujitsu raid through FC(fiber channel) cable.
I met the lock problem by the follwoing operations:
  fdisk /dev/sdbX
  e2mkfs -j /dev/sdbX
  mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/raid/X
  // run 16 sample programs for each mount point
  // pulled the FC cable and then some jobs abended.
  // 1 or 2 jobs were still running.
  // 'ps ax' showed the status D (disabled sleep)
  kill procid   // not killed
  ls /mnt/raid/X   => no response returned
  sync             => no response returned
I had to reboot to recover this situation.
It seems someting lock was held.

Could you give me any advice?

Best regards
Fujio Ikegami,