Hard disk failure, can't read journal

I can not start my laptop anymore, due to what looks like a physical HD
failure. During boot I get:

hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { Uncorrectable Error }, LBAsect=260112,
sector 51144

and then

JBD: Failed to read block at offset 5864
JBD: recovery failed
EXT3-fs: error loading journal

then the laptop is frozen.

While I understand this drive will need a prompt replacement, I am
trying to recover at least the data in the /home directory.

Anyone can give me some good hint??

I thought of trying to mount the partition as ext2 so it won't read the
journal and maybe it will start, but I fear doing more damages to the
filesystem.

TIA