ext3 + raid, is resize2fs neccessary?

Consider this section:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.14

I have not done this before and I'm leary about Step 11 which is resizing
the filesystem after doing a mkraid command.  This howto lacks any ext3
documentation.  Some questions I have are:

1. Should I convert back to ext2 on all my filesystems before I do a mkraid?
2. If I leave the system at ext3, will the mkraid conflict with the journal?
Is resize2fs even neccessary now-a-days?
3. If so, in the future, can ext3 compensate for a potential raid situation
(reserving that meta-block) so that e2fsck and resize2fs won't be
neccessary.

Basically, Step 11 scares the hell out of me which is why I haven't done
this on a live system.

thanks,
-eric wood