Re: ext3 + raid, is resize2fs neccessary?

On Oct 17, 2003  14:42 -0400, Eric Wood wrote:
> Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > On Oct 17, 2003  09:13 -0400, Eric Wood wrote:
> >> 1. Do you have to convert ext3 back to ext2 before resizing, or is
> >> resize2fs "journal-aware"?
> >> I assume "yes".
> >
> > Correct.
>
> Whoops! I poorly worded the question.  I don't know what I answered "yes"
> too.

"yes" is a logically correct answer to a "this or that" question
but it doesn't help very often ;-).

> Do I have to convert ext3 back to ext2 before resizing?  Ie, tune2efs -O
> ^has_journal ?  The resize2fs man page doen't mention requiring it.

You don't need to convert from ext3 to ext2 to resize, as long as you
have recovered the journal before you resize.  I think resize2fs forces
an fsck on the filesystem before resizing.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger