tune2fs -j on mounted FS

Just now I ran tune2fs -j on the root filesystem of a box running
2.6.0-test8.  Then I edited /etc/fstab and changed the FS type to from
ext2 to ext3, saved the file, and invoked vim on the file again.  A
few moments after this, the box hung.  Unfortunately X was running at
the time, and so I don't have any messages to cite.

Is this a known problem?