Re: tune2fs -j on mounted FS

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:52:23PM +0000, Sean Neakums wrote:
> Just now I ran tune2fs -j on the root filesystem of a box running
> 2.6.0-test8.  Then I edited /etc/fstab and changed the FS type to from
> ext2 to ext3, saved the file, and invoked vim on the file again.  A
> few moments after this, the box hung.  Unfortunately X was running at
> the time, and so I don't have any messages to cite.
>
> Is this a known problem?

This is the first time anyone has reported anything like this.  All
tune2fs -j does on a mounted filesystem is to create a normal file
(which is used for the journal), mark it immutable, and the modify the
superblock to set the has_journal flag and set the journal inode
number.   None of this should cause a kernel hang.

What version of e2fsprogs/tune2fs were you using?

						- Ted