Re: ext3 dead after testing 2.6.0-test5

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:52:50AM +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mit, 10 Sep 2003, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > Restarting e2fscl from the beginning ...
>
> Ok, this didn't work at all. I could fix the biggest problems by:
> * starting debugfs in write mode
> * clearing inode 8 (which I found out later is the journal inode)
> * fsck-ing and letting everything be fixed
> * reboot, getting ext2 instead of ext3 (deleted journal, mounting as ext2)
> * fsck again, fixing may duplicate blocks etc, (uuaaa)
> * now it is working (at least what I see, surprises will soon hit me)

It sounds like garbage got written into the the inode table.  Without
a detailed listing of the fsck messages, it's really hard to tell
more, though.

Note that when reporting problems like this, it's important to specify
your hardware (which SCSI/IDE controller, motherboard, etc.) since
although the filesystem code noticed the problem, it's at least as
likely that the problem was caused a buggy device driver that scribbed
to the disk in the wrong place.

						- Ted