reading journal statistics

Is there a way to get usage statistics on the journal device?  We
are testing battery-backed NVRAM cards with extremely busy 1.7TB
filesystems (mode data=journal) and we need to figure out what size
NVRAM card we need.  I assume the journal size depends on how much
writing you are doing and we can do simple theoretical calculations
(writing 2.5MB/s, 60 seconds of journal would be max 150MB), but
those numbers are probably off, maybe even completely wrong given
the assumption.

Is there a way to check to exactly how much of the journal is
waiting to be flushed to disk at any given time?  Is there a way
to get I/O statistics of data in and out of the journal?

Honestly, I can't really find any information on how to get *any*
stats on the journal device.

Thank you for any information,
Philip

* Philip Molter