EXT3 on raid with external journal...

Kurt Fitzner kfitzner at excelcia.org
Tue Apr 13 11:05:08 UTC 2004

I have a raid5 array on my web server for which I am currently
considering a move to ext3.  I want to use an external journal to
improve performance.

Since the external journal would reside on a drive  that is not
participating in the raid array, I'm wondering what the behavior of an
ext3 filesystem is should the device an external journal is on should
fail.  If it reverts to ext2 behavior upon failure, then I can justify
using a non-raid device for an external journal.