EXT3 on raid with external journal...

I have a raid5 array on my web server for which I am currently considering a move to ext3. I want to use an external journal to improve performance.

Since the external journal would reside on a drive that is not participating in the raid array, I'm wondering what the behavior of an ext3 filesystem is should the device an external journal is on should fail. If it reverts to ext2 behavior upon failure, then I can justify using a non-raid device for an external journal.