Re: [patch] Re: stalled 'sync' on ext3+quota over drbd

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 18:37, Eugene Crosser wrote:

> > > Cool!  I've already began to build testing environment with oprofile
> > > enabled ;-)  During the weekend, I am out of the office, but I'll
> > > certainly verify your fix on Monday.
> >   Do you already have results? I'd be interested in them...
>
> From the first impression, it did not help.

Luckily, I was wrong.  At least on the test environment I get the
results below.  This is 2.6.5 kernel with euivalent of Stephen's patch.
'setquota' sets user and group quota for 40,000 userids and 40,000
groupids.  'mktree' writes one byte into 40,000 files and sets their
owner and group to 40,000 unique values.

			unpatched		patched
setquota		4m2.9			3m42
sync			0m0.1			0m0.1
mktree(1)		7m3.8			7m50
sync			7m50			0m0.8
mktree(2)		7m23			6m40
sync			7m49			0m1

On my 'big' system sync still runs unexpectedly long (40sec - 4min) but
it is by far better than it was before the patch...

Thanks everybody involved!

Eugene