Re: Filesystem returned to state of six months ago after fsck

[Copy to list - original accidently only sent to Boris]

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 06:19, Boris Lenhard wrote:
> Recently our sysadm accidentally powercycled our server (RedHat8)
> after 198 days of uptime, and upon boot it insisted on checking one
> partition (/dev/sda7) in our RAID. When it was done, the files were in
> the state of August 23 last year, with anything newer either gone or
> invisible. I guess something went wrong with journaling data. What can
> I do to restore the current state (except restore from backup, which
> is an unfavorable option on Saturday morning) ?.

This really can't be an ext3 fault.

It sounds more like a disk went offline in a RAID1 pair and then the
disks swapped over on the restart (or the disk that been offline came
online and the other disk was synced to it).  If you have 2 (sets of)
disks running in the current RAID set and they are synced I'd say you
need your backups.   Otherwise its a case of working out how to get the
right half of the RAID1 set up and then fixing from there.

        Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel Metheringham InTechnology co uk ]