Re: fs block level syncing

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Sean Neakums wrote:
> Off the top of my head I was thinking that maybe you could do
> something with lvm snapshots and dump, doing a restore on the remote
> side, but I have no idea how practical and robust that would be.

I looked into that but LVM/EVMS snapshots store only the difference.  What
I need is complete other copy so if the original paritions dies completely,
I still have everything (at least up to the last mirror job).

But you got me thinking about dump/restore.  Does dump/restore do things at
the block level?  If I have two equal partitions and I make my initial
image doing a dump on the first and piping it into a restore one the
second. Then at later intervals do an incremental dump on the first piping
it again into a restore on the second, will it just do the most
efficient thing (i.e. handle renames as only a change to the directories
involved)?

I am not too familiar with dump so don't know if incremental dumps are
possible in such a scheme.