Getting ext3 up and running

I have a Debian system from a Knoppix distribution. I started out with ext2
but decided to change to ext3.

tune2fs -j OK.

However the system boots with a warning ....ext3 mounted as ext2.
proc/mounts confirms this and no journal is running.

So I have to make an initrd. Did so using instructions in the Debian Reference
and this did not change anything. Any attempt to use the img produced was a
kernel boot panic. Also, this intrd image is very large and cannot be used as
an image on the boot menu.

What must I do?