Re: Getting ext3 up and running

recompile your kernel, include ext3 in the kernel instead of as a module.

David Baron wrote:

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 18:48, Adam Williams wrote

This was, of course done. There is only one partition involved and since this was the root partition, this was set to "auto". It was tried before as ext3 and ext3,ext2, but the reference said make it auto.

The problem is that ext3 is NOT in the kernel but is a module. This is why an initrd is needed.

edit /etc/fstab and change all occurences of ext2 to ext3 and then reboot

David Baron wrote:

I have a Debian system from a Knoppix distribution. I started out with
ext2 but decided to change to ext3.

tune2fs -j OK.

However the system boots with a warning ....ext3 mounted as ext2.
proc/mounts confirms this and no journal is running.

So I have to make an initrd. Did so using instructions in the Debian
Reference and this did not change anything. Any attempt to use the img
produced was a kernel boot panic. Also, this intrd image is very large
and cannot be used as an image on the boot menu.

What must I do?