Re: Getting ext3 up and running

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 15:20, Matt Bernstein wrote:
> On Jan 6 David Baron wrote:
> >Thank for you reply. I am "chicken" to start tampering with the kernel.
> > When a 2.6* is reasonably stable, maybe I'll tackle that :-)
> >
> >For now, I want a usable initrd.
>
> For 2.4, you only need jbd then ext3. For 2.6 (which is "reasonably"
> stable, and ext3 scales much better :), you need mbcache then jbd then
> ext3. You don't need anything else, unless the block device your "/" lives
> on is also build as modules.
>
> Why not take the large initrd image and just "remove stuff"(tm) till lilo
> will take it? Or just try grub..

By setting moduls=non and specifying jbd and ext3 in the root parameter of the
mkinitrd.conf, I got the size down to 972k. I think it should be 1/3 of that.
This is still too big to be on the image menu and using it as a lilo initrd
still panics!

The error for the panic is a blocksize of 00000

What specifically must be in the mkinitrd.conf file to do this correctly? None
of the docs I have seen mention this at all !!