[OT] Re: Getting ext3 up and running

[its getting really off-topic now]

Gianluca Cecchi wrote:

> I downloaded knoppix 3.3 and started it inside VMware configured with an ide
> hard disk of 4Gb.

> cat /proc/mounts:
[...]
> /dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
[...]

> So it seems that ext3 support is compiled into the kernel and all is ok
> with journal.

Where did you get this information from? Just because the fs has the
'has_journal' flag set doesn't mean the kernel is ext3 capable. As you
can see from the /proc/mounts output, the roots is still mounted as ext2.

If you've gone all the way to simulate David's problem, please also be so
kind to try to make a initrd image and boot with it.

Regards,
Juri