Question Regarding e2fsck

I've run ext3 filesystems for the last few years and I've never seen
this question answered..... If a system shutsdown hard, even with
journaling is it at all necessary to run e2fsck?

Just curious.... Thanks

--
Sam Williams                                             samurai acm org
+"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of computers   +