(regards to ext3 and RAID) Re: Linux consultation needed (fwd)

Arthur Perry ext3 at linuxfarms.com
Thu May 27 14:11:12 UTC 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:43:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Arthur Perry <alp at perryconsulting.net>
To: ext3 at linuxfarms.com
Subject: (regards to ext3 and RAID) Re: Linux consultation needed (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:11:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Arthur Perry <alp at perryconsulting.net>
To: Christopher Welton <cwelton at jumpnowusa.com>
Cc: ext3-users at redhat.com

Hi Chris,

I put the whole thread into ext3-users at redhat.com, so others can benefit.

e2fsck will repair filesystems damage, but it will do nothing for the RAID
container.
If your damage exists primarily on the RAID container, then what you want
to do is repair that first!
Otherwise, you may be making corrections to a filesystem and writing those
changes to what could be mapped as bad blocks, and only worsening your
situation.

It all depends on what kind of RAID container you have, the type of
damage, and the extent of damage.

So in a simple answer, the filesystem check MAY appear to fix it for you
in the really short term,
or it may not. It's really all about your RAID container first.

In my experience, we have had bad luck with RAID5 on certain controllers.
I do not know anything about the particular one you have listed below.

I would be sure to back up anything you can with a rescue disk boot before
making any changes to your disk, simply because at this time, it is
unknown exactly what you are dealing with.

Best Regards,
Art Perry