Re: Externalize journal

On Nov 24, 2004  19:52 +0100, jehan.procaccia wrote:
> Is it possible to externalize the journal of an already existing
> (journal inside) ext3 FS ?
>
> Here's what I did to create a new FS with external journal for
> /dev/emcpowerl2 on /dev/emcpowerl2
> mke2fs -O journal_dev /dev/sda10
> mke2fs -J device=/dev/sda10 /dev/emcpowerl2
> it works perfectly , but can I do the same whitout reformating the
> original FS;  /dev/emcpowerl1 which is in production for exemple

Use "tune2fs -O ^has_journal" on unmounted filesystem to remove the
existing journal.  Then "tune2fs -O has_journal -J device=/dev/sda10"
to add the journal to the new device (unmounted also of course).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
http://members.shaw.ca/adilger/             http://members.shaw.ca/golinux/