function to read a block?

Does anyone know if there is an ext2fs function to
read the contents of a given data block directly from
an ext2/3 file system?

I need to dump the contents of data blocks directly
from an ext2/3 file system itself.  I know I can use
fseek on the raw device to do this, but I am wondering
if the ext library has any function that accepts a
block number as a parameter and reads a block.  (The
work I am doing requires me to talk directly to an
ext3 file system and data blocks).  Also timing of the
dumps is critical as it works on files in real-time,
so I am thinking it would be fastest to use a direct
call.

Any info is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance
for any info.