low level search for deleted data

Hi everyone,

I lost my complete home directory and am facing the problem of retrieving
some of the deleted data.
I have search the web for this matter, but the only information I found is,
that it's not possible for a program to do this and that I have to puzzle
the files together by scanning the disk (or disk image) with tools like
sleuthkit (www.sleuthkit.org) or lde (lde.sourceforge.net). That's ok, since
the only files I like to recover are text files (c and java sourcecode). But
even though I read the ext2-undelete-minihowto (which doesn't apply to ext3,
I know) I honestly don't know how to start. The partition is 11GB and the
data could be anywhere. Can anyone please describe a sensible approach to
this task. I'm really helpless :(

Thanks in advance

Andreas

--