Re: short read while checking ext3 journal

On Apr 09, 2005  16:07 -0400, Tom Cooper wrote:
> I thought removing the journal might help.  I doubt that the files that
> interest me were open at the time.

Sounds like the journal has some of the blocks set to zero (i.e. sparse),
which is an error, or you are actually getting read errors in the journal.

> [root marvin root]# tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hdb1
> tune2fs 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
> The needs_recovery flag is set.  Please run e2fsck before clearing
> the has_journal flag.

'debugfs -R "feature needs_recovery" /dev/hdb1' is what you want.  That
should probably be put into the tune2fs man page.

After this you should probably run badblocks before recreating the journal.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer