Re: Failures they e2fsck doesn't find

Joerg Sommer wrote:
Hi,

I've run many time e2fsck, but in a special dir ls tells me:
ls: rücksendung-wlan.dvi: No such file or directory
ls: bafög_rückmeldung.latex: No such file or directory
ls: finprüf.pdf: No such file or directory

fsck doesn't complain and what you see here are most likely some weird charset issues.

$ cat finprüf.pdf cat: finprüf.pdf: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

you're tools can't handle umlauts and thus fails to do anything with files containing umlauts. i'm not good [1] at charset issues either, but in debian the packages "locales" and "util-linux-locales" seems to be responsible for all that stuff.

Christian.

[1] an ugly putty session...
evil sheep:~$ touch ümläute.txt
evil sheep:~$ ls ümläute.txt