Ext3 Journal corruption on hitachi deskstars

I recently came across an enormous cluster of x86 clone machines running fedora core 1 (2.4.24) which have typically all intel or amd have VIA IDE chipsets.

They frequently experience corrupted journals rendering the ext3 partition in read-only mode. More important than recovering the filesystem, I am interested in finding the root of the problem.

The common hardware that all of these machines share is a Hitachi deskstar drive (New IBM drive)...

Searching through the mailing list and google I have seen references to problems with this particular drive but for the life of me and (the broken redhat search tool) I cannot pin down specific information on the cause of these failures.

A bug within the IDE bus driver and the harddrive, seems most sensible. Please help me find the right place to look.

Thanks in advance,

-Greg

--
Greg Martin