Re: Ext3 Journal corruption on hitachi deskstars

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 20:38, greg martin ddos com wrote:
> I recently came across an enormous cluster of x86 clone machines running
> fedora core 1 (2.4.24) which have typically all intel or amd have VIA IDE
> chipsets.
>
> They frequently experience corrupted journals rendering the ext3 partition
> in read-only mode.

When ext3 first takes a filesystem offline/readonly, it always logs an
initial message explaining why it's doing so.  You'll need to capture
that log message.

Obviously, if it's the filesystem containing /var/ that went readonly,
then /var/log/messages won't contain the information; but "dmesg" may,
and you can set up serial or network console to capture it.

--Stephen