Re: Does ext3 file system use a '.journal' file?

> Does ext3 use a .journal file or is it hidden?

Both.  It's supposed to be hidden when mounted as EXT3, but you can see
it when mounted as EXT2.

> If it DOES use a .journal file, can I rebuild it on the fly?

Yeah, just mount it as EXT2.  Then delete the .journal file, and use
tune2fs to rebuild a new one.  You should then be able to unmount and
remount as EXT3 just fine.

Joseph D. Wagner