passwd : Module is unknown (Redhat 9 Enterprise Edition)

Hi All,

Can anyone help me in resolving this problem.

I use Redhat 9 Enterprise edition. I have a session in which I logged in as a root. When I issue the command “su” from any other user it is throwing error “su : Incorrect password”, If I try to change the password from the root session, it is throwing error “passwd : module unknown”.

[root TESTING root]# su

su: incorrect password

[root TESTING root]# passwd

Changing password for user root.

passwd: Module is unknown

[root TESTING root]# which passwd

/usr/bin/passwd

[root TESTING root]# ls /etc/passwd

/etc/passwd

[root TESTING root]#

[root TESTING root]# uname -a

Linux TESTING 2.4.21-4.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 3 17:52:56 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

[root TESTING root]#

As a normal user other than root

[kapil TESTING kapil]$ su

su: incorrect password

[kapil TESTING kapil]$

Please help me in resolving this problem.

---------------------------------------

Thanks & Regards
Kapil Sampath
Wipro Technologies,
475A, Old Mahabalipuram Road,
Shollinganallur, Chennai – 600 119
Dir: +91-44-30691701 Ext : 41701

Mobile : +91-9444101619

"Men should be taught to be practical, physically strong.

A dozen such lions will conquer the world,

Not millions of sheep."

            - Swami Vivekananda