User directories in /home are missing

kapil.sampath at wipro.com kapil.sampath at wipro.com
Thu Jun 16 14:42:27 UTC 2005

Hi,

I use Redhat Enterprise Edition 2.4.21 kernel version. In my system all
the user directories in /home disappeared. No one deleted it. But I
don't know how it is missing. I had one or two open sessions where I
already logged in as root and cd'ed to one particular home directory.
>From there I am able to access files in that home directory. But not
from a new session. In new session it always says no such file or
directory.

All my user accounts still exists. I have totally around 10 user
accounts in that machine. I haven't rebooted that machine thinking that
I can do something without reboot.

Do anyone know the reason for this and if so how to recover it.

Regards

Kapil Sampath

"The greatest sin is to think yourself weak"

                             - Swami Vivekananda