Re: mke2fs options for very large filesystems

Yes, if you are creating larger files.  By default e2fsck assumes the average
file size is 8kB and allocates a corresponding number of inodes there.  If,
for example, you are storing lots of larger files there (digital photos, MP3s,
etc) that are in the MB range you can use "-t largefile" or "-t largefile4"
to specify an average file size of 1MB or 4MB respectively.  You can also
use -i or -N (see man page) to override the default bytes-per-inode value.

Wouldn't -T largefile already be making choices about the default bytes-per-inode?

How could I make my own determination about what values are most appropriate for -i and -N? My filesystems are generally several hundreds of gigabytes, filled with files that average about one megabyte in size.
--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski aecom yu edu