Re: [Q] Where does all the space go?

It's not reserved for the filesystem, but rather for root.  Read about
the -m option in the manpage to adjust that 5%.

Investigate the -m option of mkfs.ext2/3 or tune2fs.
The default is 5%.

Thanks for the info.

I found a post previously that claims it is required to prevent high levels of fragmentation as well as "other, very important" reasons. I wonder how accurate this statement is.

Ummm, the 5% reservation is to prevent the high levels of
fragmentation that occur when the filesystem is near full (something
that I wish Windows would adopt as standard too ;-).  It is also to
keep your system from "hanging" if system/root processes need to
write to the filesystem, so they aren't at the "mercy" of users
filling it up.  And there are a few other, very important reasons
too.

--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski aecom yu edu