ext3-image doesn't mount anymore and reports errors

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Thu Nov 17 17:53:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 04:27:53PM +0100, Tobias Orlam?nde wrote:
> My colleague was able to mount this image once (using mount with "-o loop").
> Since then anytime we try to mount it, it ends in the following error-message:
>
> ioctl: LOOP_CLR_FD: Device or resource busy
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Looking at the loop driver (drivers/block/loop.c), the handler for
LOOP_CLR_FD checks a ref-count on the loop device.  If the ref-count is
bigger than 1 (the ioctl call holds a reference), it returns -EBUSY,
which corresponds to the error you're getting (device or resource busy).

Does anything else on the system have a handle open to the loop device
file?  What about the image file?  Do you have any other loopback-mounts
running at the time?  Does it help to manually do the losetup operation
on a known-free loop device, then mount the loop device itself (without
-o loop)?  (You will have to "losetup -d" the device after you unmount
it, also -- normally umount handles that.)

What does "losetup -f" say?