Re: 1.5TB ext3 partitions - mke2fs problems at 2^31 blocks

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Alex Bligh wrote:

mke2fs -j /dev/sdb

My suspicious mind says this is 1/3 of the way through the disk, which is
2^31 blocks, i.e. where the block number goes negative in a signed
environment.

Is there a problem with ext3 supporting more than 2^31 blocks?

System:
	AMD64 2 x Opteron 275
	Ubuntu Breezy
	mke2fs 1.38
	Kernel 2.6.12 + 3w9xxx from 2.6.14 or from 3-ware
	3-ware 9550SX RAID controller, latest firmware, BIOS
	RAID-5 1.5 TB single partition disk

FWIW, we've been running a 3.5T partition for about a year, on x86_64-smp FC4. We had to compile the latest parted to create the GPT partition table, but other than that it wasn't a big problem.

I can say that we had serious problems getting a >2TB partition working with a 32-bit machine, or a 2.4 kernel. Those are the problems that Andreas just referenced in his message in the other thread. :)

I don't remember for sure whether we're actually USING more than 2TB of the 3.5 right now (and the machine is down today so I can't check).

Damian Menscher
--
-=#| <menscher uiuc edu> www.uiuc.edu/~menscher/ Ofc:(650)273-2757 |#=-
-=#| The above opinions are not necessarily those of my employers. |#=-