Re: [RFC] mke2fs with DIR_INDEX, RESIZE_INODE by default

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 04:58:57PM -0500, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> I think we're probably at the right point to do so.  Most people who are
> most likely to be affected have a reasonably recent e2fsprogs now.  On
> the Fedora side I'm seeing very few reports of people bitten by
> e2fsprogs incompatibility, and more and more instances of people bitten
> the other way by filesystems not performing as well as expected due to
> missing dir_index flags.

In case some people haven't noticed, a few days ago I released a new
e2fsprogs release for e2fsprogs 1.39.  New in this release is a way
for distributions and system administrators to control the default
filesystem features via the /etc/mke2fs.conf file.

In the pre-release version, mke2fs is still using the same behaviour
as before, but my plan is to change mke2fs to create filesystems with
the dir_index and resize_inode features by default.  People who don't
like this default can always edit mke2fs.conf and change things back.

						- Ted