deleting partition does not effect superblock?

Damian Menscher menscher at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 6 07:31:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Sumit Narayan wrote:

> On my system, I first created a partition with EXT3 and put some data
> on it. Later, I deleted the partition, and re-created another
> partition with the same starting block number and a higher ending
> block number. I intended to format it with another filesystem, but
> surprisingly (or maybe just to me), the superblock of the partition
> had not changed. I could still mount the new partition as the same old
> filesystem. I could see all the files which was present earlier. Doing
> 'df' showed me the older partition details (size, % used etc.).
>
> Shouldn't the superblock be changed/deleted once the partition is
> deleted? I tried a reboot, but the output remained the same.

This is the expected behavior.  A filesystem is created within the
partition.  If you grow the partition, the filesystem doesn't
automatically grow (use resize2fs for that).  In fact, you should
probably read the resize2fs manpage, as it might give you some starting
clue of what's going on.

Damian Menscher
--
-=#| <menscher at uiuc.edu> www.uiuc.edu/~menscher/ Ofc:(650)253-2757 |#=-
-=#| The above opinions are not necessarily those of my employers. |#=-