Re: Ext3 and 3ware RAID5

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 at 12:18pm, Alex Bligh wrote

--On 14 April 2006 18:31 -0400 Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 duke edu> wrote:

Any ideas as to what leads to ext3's performance hit?  I've tested *lots*
of configurations.  It's not the md layer -- 1 card setups see the same
performance hit.

No idea, but I suffer the same problem with a 9550SX-4 with SATA3
drives. I don't think ext3 is the problem as dd gives much the same
behaviour (you might want to try it). My reluctant conclusion is
that the 9550SX is just dog slow, which is why the drives are currently
sitting idle. I would love someone from 3ware to disprove this.

When ext2 is almost 2X faster than ext3 at writing, it points pretty firmly at something in the journaling code (IMO). And a journaling FS can do decently with this hardware, as XFS also gets ~300MB/s writing.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering