Re: re-linking hard links

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 12:27 -0500, Daniel Davidson wrote:
> Nope, I am only using one drive (with a single ext3 filesystem on it).
> I know I can do a find -inum, but I was wondering if there was something
> more efficient.
>
> I am actually using an md5 checksum to find duplicate files, but then I
> need to hunt down all their hard links.
>
> Dan

There are existing tools which do both the md5sum and hardlinking of
duplicates for you, e.g. http://www.sodarock.com/hardlink/

AFAIK ext3 doesn't have any idea of the md5's of any file, nor is there
any reference from the inode back to the directory entries.

If you were doing this regularly I guess you might be able to cache some
of this info in extended attributes but you'd have to make sure you kept
the info up to date.

	Jon