Ext3 Variables

Hello ,
              i want to create a script that should automatically free the proxy partition i.e /var. I am able to create that script.
But the problem is that i don't know through which variables i can check my partition's space that show me full detail i.e remaining size, etc.
One for that is df -h and other fdisk -l /dev/hdxx.
But when i will use if state then which variable i will use for comparision. Please help me in this regards.Can u tell me any variables in ext3 that can be used to check partitions's size
Thanks

Muhammad Asif