Ext3 emergency recovery

I have a damaged Ext3 filesystem which fsck has not been able to recover. If I try to mount it, I get a message like this in dmesg:

EXT3-fs error (device sda1): ext3_free_blocks_sb: bit already cleared for block 2370866

If I try fsck on it, I get a series of messages like this:

  Inode bitmap for group 0 is not in group.  (block 0)
  Relocate<y>?

Up to group 95. Some say "SEVERE DATA LOSS POSSIBLE." I backed up the filesystem and tried answering yes to all of them; it ended up just erasing the whole thing. So I have a backup with the data intact but with a broken filesystem. (Unfortunately I don't have a backup from when this filesystem was working.) Is there anything I can do now to repair the filesystem, or at least recover some data?