Re: Ext4 improvements

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
So will ext4 avoid both of these problems just like ReiserFS? Does it
use a B+ tree? Or this "dancing B* tree" that Reiser4 is supposed to have?

I cannot comment on stability/performance of ext4, but here are the specs: http://www.bullopensource.org/ext4/

Also: I found that a newly created ext3 partition uses 128 MB whereas a
new reiser3 partition uses only 32 MB.

are you talking about ext3 or ext4? I haven't tested ext4 yet but for ext3 it looks like this:

$ df -h /mnt/test0 /mnt/test1
Filesystem         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/tmp/reiser3.img    33M   33M  944K  98% /mnt/test0
/tmp/ext3.img       15M  1.6M   13M  11% /mnt/test1

(reiser3 needs at least a 32MB image file/device)

P.S: Are there any recommended tutorials for learning filesystem basics?

Hm, I'm no filesystem guru but I suggest reading the specs and the source should help a lot...

my 2 cents,
Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #127: