ext3 fs errors 3T fs

Dennis Williams evoltech at 2inches.com
Sat Jan 21 07:07:07 UTC 2006

Hello,
After the fsck finished this evening there were no final statements
refering to problems.  I remounted the filesystem without any errors.
After noticing that there were a number of files missing, I started to
attempt to recover from the lost+found directory.  I was repeatedly able
to get the the filesystem to error and remount read only when find
traversed a specific directory in lost+found.  This is the error message I
recieved from /var/log/messages:

Jan 21 16:00:26 terrorbytes kernel: EXT3-fs error (device md0):
ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #73117155: directory entry across
blocks - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=8196, name_len=84
Jan 21 16:00:26 terrorbytes kernel: Aborting journal on device md0.
Jan 21 16:00:26 terrorbytes kernel: ext3_abort called.
Jan 21 16:00:26 terrorbytes kernel: EXT3-fs abort (device md0):
ext3_journal_start: Detected aborted journal
Jan 21 16:00:26 terrorbytes kernel: Remounting filesystem read-only

1) Can someone explain what this means, and or why it might happen?
2) Why this condition might exist even after a succesfull fsck?

I am planning on running a fsck yet again.

Sincerely,
Dennis Williams