EXT3: failed to claim external journal device.

We are having problems remounting an ext3 filesystem using an external journal device. The filesystem in question was working fine until the server was rebooted.
This is what we see on dmesg when trying to mount:
EXT3: failed to claim external journal device.
The external journal lives on a LVM2 logical volume and it seems to be accessible ( we can dumpe2fs and see filesystem information).

Here's the system information and command line used to create the filesystem :
SuSE SLES9 2 , kernel 2.6.5
ada718-5:/ # rpm -qa | grep e2fs
e2fsprogs-1.36-6.2
mke2fs -O journal_dev   /dev/mapper/home_jou_vol_grp-home_jou 400000
mke2fs -E stride=16 -O sparse_super,dir_index -j -J device=/dev/mapper/home_jou_vol_grp-home_jou /dev/mapper/home_vol_grp-home

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

--
Franco Bladilo