[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

RE: Problems under Redhat EL3 and ext3



> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andreas Dilger [mailto:adilger clusterfs com]
> Sent: 07/20/2006 12:18 AM
> To: Ulf Zimmermann
> Cc: ext3-users redhat com
> Subject: Re: Problems under Redhat EL3 and ext3
> 
> On Jul 19, 2006  17:00 -0700, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> > I am running into performance issues with ext3. Historically we had
our
> > image files (pictures of cars, currently 5.3 million) sub divided
into a
> > directory structure [0-9]/[0-9]/[0-9]/[0-9], where we would take the
> > first 4 letters/numbers of the file name and use that to put it into
> > this structure. Letters [a-cA-C] would become a 0, [d-fD-F] a 1,
etc. As
> > the file names used to be based on VIN numbers of vehicles, that
wasn't
> > a problem. But then our developers changed the image file names
using a
> > vehicle ID from the database. And as we rolled over 1,000,000 in
vehicle
> > ids we would get large numbers of files into directories. And files
do
> > not get well distributed.
> >
> > So we changed the method using [0-9a-f]/[0-9a-f]/[0-9a-f] and md5 on
the
> > file name, using then the first 3 letters/numbers to file it away.
On
> > initial testing this worked well, distribution nice across the
> > directories, so we could split this on separate file systems or
disks.
> >
> > When we actually got to do this, a decision was made to use hard
links
> > from the old structure to the new structure for backward capability.
And
> > this turned into a disaster. Rsync or find on the new structure
takes
> > dramatic longer, talking about 5 minutes for a find on the old
structure
> > and hours on the new structure. Using strace I tracked it down to
> > lstat64. On the old structure lstat64 takes on average 37 usecs/call
> > while on the new structure it is over 2,400 usecs/call.
> >
> > EL4 does not seem to have this problem, unfortunately I can't just
> > upgrade, out of other reasons. So anyone have ideas why lstat64
would be
> > so much slower on the new structure? Any help, hints, suggestions
would
> > be great.
> 
> Do you have directories with more than, say, 10-15,000 entries?
> Do you have dir_index (directory indexing) feature enabled on your
> filesystem?  This is done with "tune2fs -O dir_index" (even while
> mounted) but only affects new directories.  I believe the RHEL3 code
> has this functionality, but it isn't enabled by default like I
> suspect it is on FC4.

The filesystem was created under EL3. I am currently copying everything
in the new structure into a new directory and it seems to be fast. My
plan at this point is to rename the hard linked new structure at the
end, and use that copy. I did run on one of the nodes e2fsck -D but that
did not help.

Hmmm, I just ran "tune2fs -O dir_index" on one node, tune2fs -l does
show dir_index enabled now. But I am not sure if that will help, as
getdents64 wasn't showing much difference in a strace -c, lstat64 on the
other hand did.

> 
> Once you have enabled this, then an OFFLINE run of "e2fsck -fD {dev}"
> will rebuild the directory indexes for existing directories.
> 
> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger
> Principal Software Engineer
> Cluster File Systems, Inc.



[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]