Re: Retaining undelete data on ext3

On Oct 08, 2006  23:12 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> The bottom line is the interaction of truncate and journalling gets
> tricky, if you want it to be 100% reliable.  If you're willing to
> settle for "mostly working", it's probably not that hard.

You can't be 100% with undelete anyways, because there is no guarantee
that the blocks won't be reallocated right away.  Having a 95% undelete
solution in a few lines of code would be worthwhile, IMHO, since this
topic comes up a lot and I've lamented on a few occasions the fact you
can't ever salvage deleted files from ext3.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer