Re: Stress testing for ext3?

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, ..:::BeOS Mr. X:::.. wrote:
I know of a method to continously execute a command, maybe doing a full listing of the drive's contents will heat the drives up, but I am not sure about the error checking part. Here is what I would do:
while [ 1 -eq 1 ]; do ls  -shw9 -R; done

The directory liting will be cached, after the first run the disk should not be touched any more (try it out...). Also, when you're not redirecting the output to somewhere else (e.g. /dev/null), the terminal displaying the output will be the bottleneck and not the fs or the disk...

--
BOFH excuse #34:

(l)user error