Stress testing for ext3?

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at cc.kuleuven.be
Tue Sep 5 13:09:38 UTC 2006

Christian wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, ..:::BeOS Mr. X:::.. wrote:
>
>> I know of a method to continously execute a command, maybe doing a
>> full listing of the drive's contents will heat the drives up, but I am
>> not sure about the error checking part. Here is what I would do:
>> while [ 1 -eq 1 ]; do ls  -shw9 -R; done
>

> The directory liting will be cached, after the first run the disk should
> not be touched any more (try it out...). Also, when you're not
> redirecting the output to somewhere else (e.g. /dev/null), the terminal
> displaying the output will be the bottleneck and not the fs or the disk...

A colleague of mine reported he got ext3 to bail out while repeatedly
recompiling the kernel.  He enabled all kernel modules, and then ran:

# while true; do make clean; make -j18; done

The filesystem ended up being mounted ro.  The fsck at reboot moved some
files to lost+found, after which the filesystem could be used again.

Kind regards,

Herta