parallel I/O on shared-memory multi-CPU machines

Chris Worley worleys at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:33:42 UTC 2007

Other cluster file systems include Terrascale (now RapidScale),
Panasas, IBRIX, PVFS-2, and IBM's proprietary GPFS.

Of these (and including previously mentioned Lustre) Panasas and GPFS
are most mature.  There are also distributed file systems like GFS and
Polyserve... but these don't scale that well.  NFS-V4 is supposed to
have some distribute-ability, but it will probably only work reliably
in proprietary Netapp devices, and if NFS-V3 is any indicator (and
Linux's NFS is under the same management as for V3), it will take many
years to stabilize.  The "rule of thumb" is: I/O performance,
reliability, and price; pick any two.

In using a cluster file system, the best you can expect per node is
your interconnect speed, which is, worst case, 100MB/s over GigE...
much better than a single local disk (~40MB/s for SATA)... but, to get
this number to scale over a lot of nodes has a hefty price tag.

Local disks always scale best, if you can use them.

Your problem sounds like it's write-intensive.  For read-intensive
problems, multicast can be used to sync with main file server quickly
and cheaply.

As stated before, if you can use local disk drives, they scale
linerarly between nodes (but not as number of threads increase on the
same node), and you can create a local software RAID cheaply (use
Linux MD, not a HW RAID controller for best speed) and get best local
performance.

Also, many MPI-1 implementations have ROMIO extensions, part of MPI-2
spec, which can hide the underlying implementation and be
programatically intuitive, but this is not always fastest: most (not
all) cluster file systems perform best when each thread/process writes
to files in different directories.

Write speeds on cluster file systems will be better than read speeds,
as all the caching layers between the app and the actual disk provide
better performance, unless you need synchronous operation (like a
journaled DBMS needs, or where messages are passed via files, as with
distributed matlab).