File system checking on ext3 after a system crash

Hi folks --   My machine is a RHEL 3 with 2.4 kernel  installed - with some large ext3 filesystems on drives connected internally  ( >200G)

Now, When this system crashed (for eg:- a CPU panic /hardware error )   - e2fsck on this filesystem seems to be taking a long time to return thereby adding to the overall downtime of this system.

could there be any workarounds for my issue?

say for example , to have it try to replay the journal and if it fails only then , configure  it do a full check ?

I am really helpful to any advise I may receive

Thanks,
Balu.