File system checking on ext3 after a system crash

Sev Binello sev at bnl.gov
Mon Apr 9 18:29:57 UTC 2007

> 3) Periodically, and at a non-peak time, use the e2image program to
> save a backup copy of the filesystem metadata.  Do this *especially*
> if you don't have space to do a real backup.  This will give you at
> least some measure of a saving throw against a single bad disk write
> (caused by malfunctioning storage hardware, or the aforementioned
> buggy binary-only graphical driver written in C++ with the pointer
> error) from destroying a huge numer of files.

Hi -
    I noted this response with interest.
    I was unaware of this tool.
    I did a quick test and looks simple to use, are there any caveats or
hidden gotchas ?
    I understand it will only restore to the state it was in when the
image was taken,
    but in a pinch that maybe an alternative we could use.
    Any idea how long it takes to create/restore ?
    Would it make sense to run on a daily basis ?

    Also, wondering if you could point me to documentation explaining
how to
    respond to e2fsck questions when it finds problems in the file system.

Thanks
-Sev

Sev Binello
Brookhaven National Laboratory