Re: unlink performance

I think that the mv / mkdir is going to be your best move...
If you can't move the whole directory, try:

mkdir /tmp2
mv /tmp/{*,.??*} /tmp2
(restart the application)
rm -rf /tmp2/* /tmp2/.??*

(it depends, of course, on the two directories being on the same partition).

That approach especially works if the bulk of your files are in sub-directories  You'll only be doing work on the inodes directly in the main directory, and then you can take your time deleting the subdirectories from /tmp2 while your app runs.

I'm looking for clues about speeding up unlink performance.  I have an ext3 file system (well, across several machines) that have a temp directory.  The application needs to clean up the temp directory before the next run of the application begins and the engineers want to clean out this temp directory  "quickly".

--
Stephen Samuel http://www.bcgreen.com
778-861-7641